500 Years Celebration to Begin in Samar
Posted on 14 March 2021
By NQC Secretariat
On 16 March 2021, the country will commence its 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines (2021 QCP) in Guiuan, Eastern Samar. It is composed of thirty-four quincentennial milestones that will last until October 28 in Sarangani Island, Davao Occidental. These include the 500th anniversary of the Philippine part in the first circumnavigation of the world, the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan, and the 500th anniversary of the introduction of Christianity in the Philippines. A total of thirty-four (34) historical markers will be unveiled between this period: three of which will be in Guiuan, one to be officiated by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte of March 18 in Barangay Ngolos.
President Duterte created the National Quincentennial Committee (NQC) by virtue of Executive Order No. 55 (2018) for this purpose and is chaired Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea. Last January 2020, the President issued Executive Order No. 103 underscoring the Filipino-centric point of view of the commemorations, superseding what was previously regarded as the “discovery of the Philippines.”
The following are the opening activities of the quincentennial:
- March 14
- Guiuan Trade Fair, Poblacion, Guiuan, Eastern Samar
- March 15
- 6th Quincentennial Lecture Series: Magellan, Maps, and the Birth of a Nation by Ambeth Ocampo (live from Calicoan, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, to be streamed online by Radio-Television Malacañang at facebook.com/nqc2021), 3pm.
- Groundbreaking of the Guiuan Museum and Opening of the Exhibit “Guiuan: Humble Haven of Hospitality, Humanity, and Hope,” Poblacion, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 6pm.
- March 16
- Beginning of the 500th Anniversary of the Philippine Part in the First Circumnavigation of the World and the unveiling of the historical marker in Suluan Island, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 11am.
- Meeting procedure between the Philippine Navy Ship BRP Apolinario Mabini and the Spanish Navy Training Ship BE Juan Sebastian Elcano, Suluan Island, 11:30am.
- Fluvial parade with the Spanish Navy Training Ship BE Juan Sebastian Elcano, Manicani Island Waters, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 4:30pm.
- March 17
- Unveiling of the Homonhon Historical Marker, Sitio Cantilado, Brgy. Pagbabangnan, Homonhon Island, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 11am.
- March 18
- Unveiling of the Guiuan Church Historical Marker, 9am, Poblacion, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 8am.
- Unveiling of the Samar Historical Marker by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, 3pm, Ngolos, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 3pm.
- Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day’s Quincentennial Evening Show: In Commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Philippine-Spanish Contact, Guiuan Church Grounds, Guiuan, Eastern Samar, 6pm.
The events are all closed to the general public. Meanwhile, Radio-Television Malacañang will stream all the events live on various government Facebook pages, primarily the Presidential Communications Operations Office and NQC.
The pandemic affected the preparations, with the majority of its projects either canceled or temporarily suspended. Two of the major projects affected by COVID-19 are the construction of the Lapulapu Memorial Shrine and Museum in Lapu-Lapu City and the restoration of the Old Butuan City Hall and its eventual conversion into the Museum of Philippine Early History in Butuan City to highlight the pre-Hispanic Philippine history and society.
. . . . .
In 2021, we will commemorate the Philippine part in the achievement of science and humankind in circumnavigating the planet for the first time. Central in this commemoration is the 500th anniversary of the Victory at Mactan on 27 April 2021. These and more are collectively known as the 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines by virtue of Executive Order No. 103 (2020). Know more about the event here: ?
? About us ?[https://nqc.gov.ph/en/about]
? Watch our promotional video ? [https://youtu.be/ptgU1ZUgFZc]
? Listen to Quincentennial Soundtrack ?[https://spoti.fi/3nxWXPa]
? Watch our lectures [https://portal.nqc.gov.ph/]☝️
?️♀️ Quincentennial activities here [https://bit.ly/3dHrnKF]