DILG Issues Memo to LGUs for the Quincentennial
Posted on 28 March 2021
By NQC Secretariat
Department of the Interior and Local Government
issued Memorandum Circular 2021-023 on 19 February 2021 which directs the local government units to
participate in the 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines.
The DILG guidelines include the display of quincentennial banners in public spaces and edifices from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2022. The agency also enjoined the LGUs to play the quincentennial theme song “Bagani,” along with other songs in the Limandaan album, which are available on Spotify, in public spaces and programs.
The National Quincentennial Committee, in which DILG is a regular member, envisions all programs and projects to retell the heroism, gallantry, and nobleness of various historical figures in history, especially the local heroes and eminent people a particular locality has produced; to honor the modern-day great examples of greatness and compassion; celebrate the overseas Filipino workers; and to highlight our achievement as a people in science, arts and culture, and various fields—because, the first circumnavigation of the world is an achievement of science and humankind. But most importantly, let’s make 2021 QCP relevant in our fight against the coronavirus 2019 pandemic.
Aside from the concerned local government units along the route of the first circumnavigation of the world, the local government units that responded and signified participation in the 2021 Quincentennial Commemorations in the Philippines (2021 QCP) are:
1. City Government of Biñan, Laguna (incorporated the 2021 QCP with Araw ng Biñan last 2-5 February 2021)
2. Provincial Government of Quezon (created the Quezon Quincentennial Committee–focus on the Pacific history and heritage of the province)
3. Provincial Government of La Union (dedicated La Union Day last March 2 to the 2021 QCP; translated in Ilokano the quincentennial theme song, “Bagani”)
4. City Government of Manila (integrating to the 2021 QCP the 450th anniversary of the founding of Manila on 24 June 2021; the 450th anniversary of the Battle of Bangkusay on 3 June 2021 will form part of the 2021 QCP)
5. Municipality of Miag-ao, Iloilo (host of the Battle of Mactan Diorama of the
Sulu Garden Miagao
, to be inaugurated on 27 March 2021).